[Qgis-developer] Fleet Management Tools

Petros Apotsos petrosapotsos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 05:20:04 PST 2012

Dear List,
I am an experienced GIS User, but fairly new to GIS Development and
Programming.
My assignment is the following:
Given a Point Cloud (either a file or a stream) that represents positions,
speed and direction of a vehicle fleet (TAXIs in my case), and a graph
(geometric network) that represents roads and intersections, I want to be
able to do the following:
	1. Track down the route of any single vehicle, as a succession of
points on the network.
	2. Calculate the total passes of vehicles through any given point or
segment of the network.
	3. (Not as urgent as the above) Find the nearest TAXI to a random
point on the network.
All of the above need to be FOSS-based solutions.
Although I am willing and ready to program plugins or algorithms to do the
above tasks, I am not really into re-inventing the wheel, so my questions
are the following:
	A) Are there any libraries or plugins that handle the above tasks?
Is there any FOSS work already done with them?
	B) Is QGIS ready (aka efficient enough) to handle those tasks, or
shall we try other tools/software?
Any opinions on my task would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx in advance!

Petros Apotsos

Rural & Surveying Engineer
Technical Chamber of Greece Registry Number 96798
Τ: 2310 220345
F: 2310 220346
Ermou 18A, Postal Code 54624
Thessaloniki, GREECE