[Qgis-developer] Legend group API

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Dec 11 04:57:16 PST 2012

 Sounds good to me.

 I'd also like to see enhancements on groups in the future. Groups can
 be potentially more intelligent if they can hold properties. F.e. some
 web services (like WMS) require metadata on groups (like title,
 abstracts, responsible entities). One could also think about group
 opacity - a useful concept from the SVG world - see
 http://fog.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/images/groups.png - the difference is
 that on the left the elements are first composited and then the
 transparency was added on the composite image, whereas on the right each
 element got opacity added and then composited.

 One could also think about clipping and masking on group level.

 I am sure others find additional interesting use cases for properties
 on groups.

 Andreas

 On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:41:07 +0100, Martin Dobias wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Nathan Woodrow
> <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think Martin has some ideas about how we can improve the legend
>> based stuff.  Might be best to see what he has in mind.
>
> Well... the whole idea is to get rid of that interface and replace it
> by something saner. Maybe I have already posted that in a previous
> discussion, in my view we should have something like:
> - QgsLibraryItem - base item, basically a node of the legend tree
> - various item specializations: QgsLibraryLayer, QgsLibraryGroup etc
> with some additional methods
> - an entry point in QgisInterface for getting root QgsLibraryItem
> We already have those QgsLibraryXXX classes, but they are derived
> from
> QTreeWidgetItem and that's not acceptable for API.
>
> A second step would be to move library view to GUI library so that
> also 3rd party applications can use the legend (instead of just
> accessing the instance within QGIS).
>
> Regards
> Martin

 Andreas Neumann