[Qgis-developer] SAGA modules (version 2.1.0) through SEXTANTE on Mac OSX

Olav Peeters opeeters at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 02:08:08 PST 2012

Hi all,
I managed to successfully get SAGA installed from source on Mac OSX 10.6.8

Since the instructions on the SAGA wiki
(http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/saga-gis/wiki/Compiling%20SAGA%20on%20Mac%20OS%20X)
did not seem to work well in my case, here is what I did:

on a system (in my case OSX 10.6.8) with Xcode 4.2, install:
- PROJ 4.7 (eg from here: http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/archive - if
you had PROJ 4.8 installed together with Qgis before, you will need to
reinstall PROJ 4.8 again after finishing the SAGA install, otherwise
Qgis will not open anymore)
- GDAL 1.8 (http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/archive)
- JasPer 1.900.1 ( http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~frodo/jasper/)
- wxWidgets post-2.9.3 (not needed if SAGA is installed without gui, I
guess, but I haven't tried)
- at least svn 1.7.x

$ svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/saga-gis/code-0/trunk/saga-gis/
saga-gis
Checked out revision 1574.

$ cd ./saga-gis/
$ autoreconf -i

eg:
$ nano my-saga-config.sh

with this in it:
FEATURES="--enable-unicode --enable-debug --disable-gui"
CXX="/Developer/usr/bin/clang"
DEFINES="-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DWXUSINGDLL -D__WXMAC__ -D__WXOSX__
-D__WXOSX_COCOA__"
GDAL_H="-I/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Headers"
PROJ_H="-I/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Headers"
LIB_SRCH="-L/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix/lib"
LINK_MISC="-arch x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -isysroot
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -lstdc++"
./configure $FEATURES CXX="$CXX" CPPFLAGS="$DEFINES $GDAL_H $PROJ_H"
LDFLAGS="$LIB_SRCH $LINK_MISC"

$ chmod +x my-saga-config.sh
$ ./my-saga-config.sh

$ make

$ sudo make install

$ saga_cmd

   #####   ##   #####    ##
  ###     ###  ##       ###
   ###   # ## ##  #### # ##
    ### ##### ##    # #####
##### #   ##  ##### #   ##

Using saga_cmd from the command line on Mac OSX works!

Now the SEXTANTE in Qgis problem..

There is no option "SAGA folder" in the SEXTANTE configuration like you
have when installing on Windows. I haven't checked on Linux, but I guess
the Unixes don't need this, as long as saga_cmd is in the path, right?

Opening a SAGA module I get:
It seems that SAGA is not correctly installed in your system. Please
install it before running SAGA algorithms.

Is SAGA in SEXTANTE 1.0.8 maybe not yet compatible with the changes in
SAGA 2.1.0 ?

Regards,
Olav