[Qgis-developer] Back compatibility to Symbols in version <=1.8 with >=1.9

aruntheguy at gmail.com aruntheguy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:32:01 PST 2012

Hello all,

Recently the bug #6897 [1] was filed pointing to the incompatibility
between the symbols created before GSoC code and after GSoC code.

The primary matter being incorporating multiple levels of nesting the
symbols. Previous XML structure allowed only a single level of nesting.
This XML structure was modified and the multiple levels now work fine.

However wrt bug #6897, I have noticed, I haven't given a solution for cross
importing the symbols from previous versions to newer versions.

I haven't considered this because the structure conversion was done by the
script [2] that converted the style.xml into the style.db implicitly.

But there might be use cases where style import might happen from older to
newer systems, creating situations like #6897. For the solution I am
thinking of

A. writing a Python script to perform this conversion of XML structuring
alone. And then symbols can be imported using the built-in import function

B. Write a specialized function in C++ into QGIS which will import the old
styles too, making the user to select the type of import.

Which is more preferable?

[1] - http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6897
[2] -
https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/blob/master/scripts/symbol_xml2db.py