[Qgis-developer] Criticism of lack of symbols in QGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Feb 5 13:49:21 EST 2012

Hi Alex,

The problem is that the SVG specification to date does not contain any
method for replacing values with parameters. The way Marco implemented
it is inspired by the SVG parameters specification:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGParam/
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGParamPrimer/

but since this is only a draft, none of the SVG editors implement this
functionality so far - which is a pity - since the functionality is much
needed. So unfortunately we can't find a solution that works fine in
current SVG editors. The way is to draw the symbol in an SVG editor like
Inkscape and then change the markup in a text editor.

Andreas