[Qgis-developer] Criticism of lack of symbols in QGIS

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Mon Feb 6 18:35:19 EST 2012

> Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:54:29 +0100
> From: Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] Criticism of lack of symbols in QGIS
> To: qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Il 05/02/2012 11:05, MORREALE Jean Roc ha scritto:
> > Hi, at the moment I don't think it woulb be wise to include that much symbols without
> > changing the way they are presented to user. They have to be sorted in categories and
> > never loaded all at once.
>
> Agreed; this has been discussed several times, I think there is a ticket opened on it.

Yes, the Battle of Hastings ticket :)
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/1066
We should probably close my ticket as a duplicate: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4055
I don't think there is a significant difference between the two...

> I think we should:
> - divide the symbols into categories
> - avoid re-rendering the preview (very slow for hundreds of symbols), possibly caching it
> - add a plugin, similar to the plugin installer, to download (better also upload)
> sets of symbols from a common repo.
> It should not be a lot of work, any taker? Any sponsor?
> All the best.

I guess there would need to be a default folder to add symbols to in the user's profile*, and the gui would need to merge categories that are duplicated in more than one of the SVG search paths.

* Wouldn't it be nice if there could be a standard location to install symbols that was _shared with other software_, rather than each program saving them in its own folders?

Regards,
Alister