[Qgis-developer] Add QScintilla2 PyQt module to QGIS Distributions?

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Sun Feb 12 11:54:31 EST 2012

Hi Schaffer,

One thing that bothers me a bit is that you directly edit your local plugin in
plugin's directory and not in code repository.
The packaged and deployed plugin content is often different from the
plugin
code repository. For example, .git files, translation files, ui files do not
have
to be distributed, while they are in the source directory.

I give a lot of training sessions on QGIS and especially on plugin
development.The workflow I am using is the following :

* Generate the plugin start code with plugin builder in a dev directory
* init git on this directory
* edit code
* compile (ui to py, i18n)
* deploy to local plugin dir (make deploy)
* commit
* package and upload (make upload)

While your plugin is great for editing, it lacks a simple way to do the
following steps :
* git management (init, commit)
* compile and deploy (make commands)

Maybe integrating a little terminal dock panel could be enough to let the
user
achieve these steps.

Making the learning curve easier for users to write plugins is great, but
we
should be careful to keep constraints on them, or at least good habits in
plugin development, or we will end up with a lot of bad-quality plugins,
which
is clearly a problem. There is of course a balance to find between
constraints and ease of development, but it should be well thought in
order
not to create more problems than it solves.

Vincent