[Qgis-developer] Re: Add QScintilla2 PyQt module to QGIS Distributions?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 04:30:23 EST 2012

2012/2/13 Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>> Il 12/02/2012 23:15, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:
>>
>>> didn't want to break it trying out new ideas (i.e. start doing forks and
>>> merges). It's my opinion that most new dvelopers won't even need it for most
>>> small projects.
>>
>> -1: I think an SCM is a necessity, to speed up collaboration. E.g., in case
>> of API breakage, a dev can go round all the plugins and fix them quickly,
>> whereas waiting for all authors to understand and apply the fix can be very
>> long.
>
> I share Larry's opinion - for a small one man show project SCM is not
> necessary. Of course at some stage it is useful to introduce it.
>
> Regarding API breakage and fixing plugins by someone else - I do not
> support that. Even though plugin code may be hosted at hub.qgis, only
> the plugin author is the real owner of the code - it is not in public
> domain. Therefore doing some changes without author's permission (and
> releasing new version on his/her behalf) does not sound good to me.

Martin, I couldn't agree more with you.

We've already seen all the troubles and confusion that were introduced
by trying to push plugin authors to have a GIT instance on redmine, I
would keep this as a soft suggestion (even softer than it is now),
nothing more.

If an author doesn't want to maintain a public code repository it's
his right to do it, and this is not a good reason for not hosting his
plugins on plugins.qgis.org, IMHO we should implement other methods to
evaluate the quality of a plugin, a voting system is already in the
pipeline and could be implemented during the next code sprint in Lyon.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it