[Qgis-developer] GSoC ideas

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 17:20:54 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a +1 to Alisters ideas.  I think it would be good to have a full suite
> of tools for manipulating vector objects and layers.  These tools should be
> ports of fTools to C++ and live in the analysis lib so that they can be used
> in C++, Python and UI (Carson and I have talked about this before).
>
> I think this project would be good as it is tightly scoped and would be easy
> to mange in chunks. Merging would also be easy, even merging as the project
> moves along as each tool is independent.

Nathan,

fTools should probably experience some core/gui decoupling first - I
remember the individual tools contained a mixture of algorithm logic
and gui stuff handling (progress bar etc). After that, the tools
should ideally implement a common interface, to allow easy running of
the tools from API (instead of having to use slightly different calls
for each tool). For that we need a simple processing framework -
during last year's GSoC such framework has been developed as a side
effect - but it still lacks various important things such as: show job
progress, cancel running job or asynchronous job execution. Therefore
a summer project could involve adding missing functionality, porting
from python to c++ for inclusion in qgis_analysis library and possibly
adding few modules from fTools to demonstrate the capabilities.

Martin