Fwd: Re: [Qgis-developer] WCS-T server

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 9 09:58:35 EST 2012

 forwarding this to the list.

 I don't have a personal answer to this.

 Andreas

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] WCS-T server
 Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:53:53 +0000
 From: John Donovan <mersey.viking at gmail.com>
 To: Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>

 Well this is a client request, so I don't have a choice. But from what
 I can tell, transactions in both WCS and WFS are very similar, so I
 could certainly develop it with that in mind.

 So far, there's no requirement for a specific version of WCS, so
 what's the general idea when implementing such specifications? Because
 there is a pretty big difference between WCS 1.1.2 and WCS 2.0.0, the
 latter using GML coverages as its basis, and is more modular in its
 approach. Additionally, there's no specified support for WCS-T in
 2.0.0 yet; Rasdaman seems to shoehorn 1.1.2 WFS-T into the 2.0.0
 model.

 -John

 On 9 January 2012 13:49, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would also welcome it if we could have other OGC Server standards
> implemented in QGIS Server.
>
> However, personally, I would first be interested in WFS(-T) rather
> than
> WCS-T. But this is just my own personal preference.
>
> Andreas
>

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 14:03:37 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>
>> Il 09/01/2012 11:59, John Donovan ha scritto:
>>>
>>> It's early days yet, but there might be a requirement for me to
>>> develop a Web Coverage Service server with transaction support. I
>>> thought about developing one from scratch, then I remembered QGIS's
>>> WMS server, and I thought I could build on that.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/words of encouragement?
>>> The
>>

>> plenty of encouragement from here. I do not have (yet) any direct
>> interest on it, but I'm sure it will be a great addition, and IMHO
>> QGIS is one of the nicest environments to work in.
>> Looking forward to see it. BTW: wouldn't it be better to develop
>> QGIS
>> as a server *and* as a client?
>> All the best.

> Andreas Neumann
> Böschacherstrasse 10A
> 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
> Switzerland

 One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
 making exciting discoveries. - AA Milne

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)