[Qgis-developer] proposal for migrating QGIS documentation to reST/Sphinx

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:01:43 EST 2012

Hi Alessandro!

> We've also shortly talked about automatically build language-specific
> snapshots of the QGIS GUI with a custom sphinx directive.

Yes, latest Sphinx version has a first class support for
internationalization [1], so it should not be too hard to build an
optimal solution for QGIS out of the box.
We could then make the .po files editable by the Pootle web
application [2], so every translator would have a pleasant editing
experience and we could implement desired workflows.

> Great to know you're willing to help, certainly you already know that
> the new plugins web infrastructure is built upon our beloved Django :)

Oh yes, nice app! I have seen that, and I think you will be happy to
know that Pootle is developed in Django as well :)
So please let me know if I may go further with those experiments and
design a more detailed proposal

ciao

[1] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/intl.html
[2] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/index?redirect=1