[Qgis-developer] proposal for migrating QGIS documentation to reST/Sphinx

Yves Jacolin (free) yjacolin at free.fr
Mon Jan 9 13:59:02 EST 2012

Hello,

As I said before, I can help to migrate documentation to rst. I am using rst
frequently for all the documentation so it is not a problem for me.

The only issue I see is to create nice PDF documentation. I tested rst2odt
which could help with pdf generator inside OOo but the rst2odt writer in
sphonx does'nt exist. So we need to find a good solution. I tested one with my
gdal documentation but this is not the way I will use.

Sphinx can create PDF files but this is **really** difficult to change the
design.

If any Python guru can add rst2odt writer to sphinx it will really help!

Y.

Le lundi 9 janvier 2012 18:36:16, Otto Dassau a écrit :
> Am Mon, 09 Jan 2012 18:23:14 +0100
>
> schrieb Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:
> > Il 09/01/2012 18:08, Otto Dassau ha scritto:
> > > Migration is one thing and the other is that we are on the one hand
> > > lucky to have so many people who help us translating the manual but on
> > > the other hand only a few people are interested in updating the
> > > englisch master document. So before people can start to translate, we
> > > need to update the manual.
> >
> > Oh, I see. But this does not affect migration, I guess. On the contrary,
> > if there is little activity in writing it, we'll have more time for
> > migration. And I'm sure a nice web interface for writing will make it
> > life easier for doc writers too. All the best.
>
> It affects migration, if the people writing and migrating are the same ;).
> But anyway, it would be very helpful and a great step forward, to have a
> more intuitive online tool for the documentation update/translation/... So
> we should and will definitely go for it.
>
> Regards
> Otto

Yves Jacolin