[Qgis-developer] Re: [postgis-users] QGIS Plugin PostGIS Manager

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Jan 22 13:59:48 EST 2012

I've been quietly half paying attention to this thread...

I'd rather not promote the environment.plist (or other hidden/system init file options) as *the* solution to application environment variables.  Mac users shouldn't have to work with invisible files/folders to get something working.  And I don't think environment.plist is well documented (*users* need to dig into the *developer* documentation to find anything).

I also found a reference that PATH set in environment.plist changed in OS X 10.6 - instead of adding to the default system paths (/usr/bin, /usr/local/bin) it completely replaces PATH for any applications (they won't see system paths unless you specify them in environment.plist).

Either plugin developers (for plugins that use command line tools) need to add program path configuration options (see the GDAL Tools plugin), or some QGIS-wide option is needed like http://hub.qgis.org/issues/3097