[Qgis-developer] HackFest in Lyon

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Sat Jan 28 08:55:44 EST 2012

Hi Tim,

> From my experiences at QGIS hackfests here are some important things
> to think of when selecting your venue:
>
> - can we arrange the tables so we can 'huddle' into groups when needed?

It's a classroom, so we should be able to arrange tables just as we want. The
classroom has got 60 seats, so it should be easy if we are 40 to create
workgroups inside the room.

> - is there a data projector available for ad hoc presentations?
There should be one, and we'll provide a backup one.

> - can we stay late in the venue
We can stay up to 22h in the venue, maybe 23h, except on monday (18h).

> - is it (very) close to cheap accommodation
It's not in Lyon downtown, but a few bus/metro stops away. I did not check
accomodation yet, but we should find cheap accomodation less than 30mins away
(max).

> - does it have plenty of power outlets
We'll try to provide that.

> - is there good wireless network access available
It's a university (of medicine), so the network should be good. We'll provide
at least another wifi access point as backup, and check that we can connect
with cables too.

> - can we snack and drink coffee in the venue
We can't normally drink or eat inside the classroom, but we'll have a hall
available for pauses, dedicated to that.

> If you can meet all these criteria, geek happiness goes up, commits
> sky rocket and peace shrouds the world for 3 days :-)
Even for 5 days then :)
This place seems to be satisfying all criterias. I've got one other lead I
want to have news about, and if the latter does not work, we'll go for
Rockfeller street ( that's the street where the medecine university is :)

Regards,
Vincent