[Qgis-developer] my first python plugin for qgis

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Jan 28 23:39:23 EST 2012

Hi Stefan,

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012, SBL <Stefan> wrote:
> Recently, I wrote my first Python-Plugin for QGIS ("GarminCustomMap").

Interesting plugin. It used to be quite a hassle to make the custom maps
for our Garmin Colorado 400t. I currently can't get your plugin to function
properly and will contact you about that. You don't seem to have a repo or
issue tracker set up for your plugin yet at planet.qgis.org.

After looking at your code for creating the initial TIFF with world file
via Composer, it struck me that that technique could be repurposed to make
an 'Export to High-Resolution Georeferenced Raster' plugin, solving the
difficulty of quickly getting quality high-res geo-ref'd output from QGIS
[1]. (Unless I haven't heard of some new feature in QGIS, or plugin, to do
so.)

Couple of things the plugin could need for input:

1) Output parameters (file format, dpi, scale, pixel area, rotation, etc),
some need to be Composer-specific.

2) Area of interest, referenced from a map layer, or entered extents. Would
set the map item's viewport extent. Page size can be interpreted from that,
scale and dpi.

3) QGIS Project CRS (and maybe a particular layer's nodata or alpha channel
settings) can be embedded in output using GDAL.

4) Optionally reproject the output.

5) Optionally create overviews or TMS tiles. gdaladdo and gdal2tiles,
tilecache, or mapproxy could be leveraged for this.

May I repurpose that code from your plugin to start testing these ideas out?

[1]
http://underdark.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/creating-high-resolution-images-using-qgis/

Best regards,

Larry Shaffer