[Qgis-developer] [PROPOSAL] From srs.db to file-based CRS storage

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jan 30 23:09:23 EST 2012

On 01/30/2012 08:01 PM, Alister Hood wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:55:21 -0800
>> From: Tyler Mitchell <info at locatepress.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Qgis-developer] [PROPOSAL] From srs.db to file-based CRS
>> 	storage
>> To: Alexander Bruy <alexander.bruy at gmail.com>
>> Cc: qgis-user <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>,	Qgis Developer List
>> 	<qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
>>
>> On 2012-01-30, at 11:58 AM, Alexander Bruy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> currently QGIS used srs.db to store projection definitions. But with
>>> this approach
>>> users can't reorganize CRS definitions as they want (always used predefined tree
>>> with predefined groups).
>>
>> Instead, why not extend the current CRS look up tool to allow for custom folders,
>> re-ordering or "favourites"?
>> Ideally, create a CRS Manager app to do it. From
>> what I've seen most users (ok, maybe just me) won't use more CRS
>> than in their "recently used list" --which works well for me :)
>
> Yes, favourites would be particularly handy.  I think the best way of implementing them would be to have a little button next to each entry in the recent list to "pin" it to the list.
> This would be nice and quick and simple.  Does anybody actually use enough CRSs that they really need something more complicated?
>
> Regards,
> Alister

I kind of like that idea. Also a toggle to collapse all would be nice
(keyboard shortcut? and a button outside the list), to make it faster to
jump between major sections of the list in the current interface. Maybe
the favorite could be on another tab too in case the bottom window isn't
big enough.

Yes, some of us do use quite a few projections, but I'm an academic so
that might be fringe: my local area is 6 state plane zones, 2 utm zones,
1 albers, google, wgs84 - that's just the list of things I commonly use
when working on data in my state. Of course California is bigger than
many countries so that too could put me out of the normal user group...

Thanks,
Alex