[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-community-team] New QGIS logo

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Jul 7 18:54:26 PDT 2012

On 07/07/2012 06:34 PM, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> HI,
>
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Alex,
>>
>>> Are we going to use a site like http://www.crowdspring.com/ to get
>>> designs and possibly community vote?
>>
>> This is the site that I had in mind http://99designs.com/logo-design
>> but any of those kinds of sites will do.   I'm happy to go with the
>> one you already know works well.
>>
>> - Nathan
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>> Are we going to use a site like http://www.crowdspring.com/ to get
>>> designs and possibly community vote?
>>>
>>> It worked well for FOSS4g Denver. Also gives you a sense of what people
>>> usually pay for a pro logo design.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex

> What about submissions from the QGIS community? Would those of us who
> have some design background be able to submit a few compositions for
> the logo, or would we have to become a member of the site chosen for
> the competition and only work within that framework?
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry Shaffer
> Dakota Cartography
> Black Hills, South Dakota

I believe those sites are generally open to anyone to compete, but yes
it does require registration since they give money to the winners. I
would say we should pick such a site that does allow anyone to register
and enter the competition so that the regular QGIS community is part of
the competition.

In terms of framework, I think the requirements are going to be the same
all around. Inkscape or regular svg files, no proprietary fonts, example
output pngs at small, medium and large sizes (need to look up what most
systems expect these days).

Either site works for me, the crowdspring is the one they used for
Foss4g Denver and thats the only reason I know about it.

Thanks,
Alex