[Qgis-developer] What will be in QGIS 2.0

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 04:41:11 PDT 2012

Look like a pretty good list to me.

> - GSOC project for symbology UI redesign / improvements (how is this
> work going?)

Going well and making good progress.  Once we have some more of the
important stuff cleaned up and working as expected it will be merged
into master (pending Martins approval).

For me personally I would like to see four things:

- A better way to manage composers and improvements generally to that area.
- Python support in labels and attribute table
- More then one map canvas (this would require a lot of work I am
thinking, as you also have to factor in a lot of UI reworks to handle
more then one map canvas)
-  So kind of query language (Martin and I have been talking about
something in Python but it's only a dream at the moment)

In terms of timeline for a release, not really sure.  One year feels
to short for the amount of work that needs to be done; but two years
is a long time to wait for a release.

> - twin labelling systems
> - unified add layer dialogs
> - twin symbology systems
> - about 15 ways to generate hillshades
> - too many toolbars / icons by default
> - remove all deprecated calls from the API

+1 to all of these.  Having twin labelling and symbology engines is
just a bad user experience all round. Of course there is a lot of work
to be done just in removing those alone due to missing features.

My 2c

- Nathan