[Qgis-developer] user-defined symbology defaults + project templates

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 14:10:11 PDT 2012

Hi all,

There are 2 interrelated topics that I have been thinking about and
have come up with a solution, and I would like to get other's feedback
before proceeding further.

1) Default symbol styles are not user configurable - for example new
polygons are always filled with a random color, new point symbols are
always small red dots, etc.

I see 2 ways to change this - either global or project based. I think
project based is better because defaults in a given project are
probably not best for all projects.

So I have implemented the interface and back-end to select default
symbology (point, line, polygon) and color ramps for a project, and
all new symbols have identical properties.
See attached screenshot for an idea. Should probably also add options
for rasters (i.e. what's already in the prefs, plus default renderer
style).

2) New project defaults may not be ideal for all users - see
background discussion below which deals with default composer
templates.

A solution to this is to have a default project (template) which is
loaded when a new project is created. My solution allows to select the
default project template and also adds a UI to load a "blank" project.
I realize this may cause some problems, but it's nicer than to have to
manually load a project "template" after creating a new project (or
opening qgis for the first time).

This, combined with the symbology defaults, means that a user can
define his personal symbology defaults and have them always loaded
when a new project is created.

Any ideas/comments?

Etienne

Background discussion:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2012-June/017443.html

My branch which implements solutions for these 2 issues:
https://github.com/etiennesky/Quantum-GIS/tree/symbology-default