[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] Problem with "add postgis layers" in qgis 1.80

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Jul 20 02:59:32 PDT 2012

Hi Etienne,

On Thu, 19. Jul 2012 at 19:16:03 -0300, Etienne Tourigny wrote:
> I guess then the pragmatic way to resolve these kinds of issues is to spawn
> them in working threads and implement mechanisms for cancelling it.  Is this
> possible with the current api?

I don't think so - the providers probably don't like being called from several
threads at once - or lack an interface to try that to begin with (see threading
branch...)

> For example - could the browser dock run in a separate thread? That way, if
> it becomes unresponsive at least the app isn't.

No, all the GUI is handled in the main thread only. Working threads would need
to communicate via signals/slots with the GUI (examples postgres provider and
fTools).

And as said that would need major changes - because all loops would need to be
split into several slots (examples in GPS detection and in the WMS provider for
WMS-C).

> > BTW the threading branch was/is addressing some of these issues.

> Are you referring to the inactive dev-threading branch?

Yes.

> Any plans on reviving that? I think there was a discussion about that a short
> while ago.

Not on my end - no time.  Martin, who did it, probably has/had plans, but also
fell short of time.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
committ(ed|ing) to Quantum GIS                         IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden