[Qgis-developer] Run Feature Action Behaviour

haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Mon Jul 23 02:52:34 PDT 2012

Hi again,
I would like to have your opinions on a proposal.  We would like to modify
Run Feature Action behaviour, in order to get rid of our
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/tags/hotlink%20action%20trigger/ "Hotlink"
plugin.

The behaviour of those two equivalent tools differs:
 - "Hotlink" tries to copy Mapinfo . Just pick the tool, fly over features
and a tooltip appears filled with "display fields" of all underlying layers.
Then click on a feature shows a listbox filled with action name + display
field. Click on a line runs action

 - "Run Feature Action first requires to choose an active layer in TOC, then
choose the action you want in toolbar (dropdown menu), then click to run
action. If you want to know what feature is concerned, you need to activate
tooltips. Last thing, Run Feature action does not seem compatible with old
syntax of field expression (in 1.7.x %myfield, > 1.8 ["%myField Or
myexpression%"]

What we suggest, so that beginners can open a map and run action:
  - Modify Run Feature action to eliminate the need of choosing the action
in dropdow menu button. Add the functionnality of multiline tooltips and
action listbox under mouse click.
  - Adds retrocompatibility for old syntax
  - use the same behaviour as "identify" tool : active layer, first layer
found , all layers. That would be more user friendly I guess.

Thoughts?