[Qgis-developer] upgrading core plugins (was: Modifications to dissolve() in fTools)

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jul 24 04:27:24 PDT 2012

Il 15/06/2012 19:01, Larry Shaffer ha scritto:
> Hmm, I assumed more flexible and timely updates was one of the points
> behind the idea to move parts of QGIS from C++ to Python, with its
> core, stable code base remaining in C++. Then more developers could
> help out with development and, like PyQGIS plugins, those modular
> Python components could be updated via a web-updater between releases,
> since Python code is byte-compiled on the user's machine.
>
> Was I incorrect in this assumption?
>
> It is now a common, maybe even expected, user experience to often
> web-update part or all of a program, beyond components such as
> contributed plugins. (I updated my git program, SourceTree, 3 times in
> the last week, because they needed to adapt to the new github.com API
> v.3.)
Hi all.
I think this topic is worth of attention: we will probably have to wait
a while to release e new version,because of API breakage and raster
changes, so in the meantime users should be able to have their plugins
fixed, even if they are core.
This couold be as simple as copying the plugins to the new repo, or
there is a better approach?
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia