[Qgis-developer] upgrading core plugins

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Jul 24 07:13:43 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 24/07/2012 14:29, Jürgen E. Fischer ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, 24. Jul 2012 at 14:27:28 +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>>> We probably should simply release more often - and get that process as lean as
>>> possible, instead of putting work into making long release cycles less
>>> painless.
>> Um, if it's not clear anyway, I meant "less painful" :)
> agreed, release often is A Good Thing.
> unfortunately in the near future I guess it will not be possible, as the
> major changes to raster imply we need quite a bit of testing and
> polishing before releasing.
> all the best.

Concerning replication of the core plugins to repositories at
plugins.qgis.org, maybe setting up each as a git submodule would help
with this? While this will add complexity to the git setup, it allows
for independent (but shared) repository commits and pushes to multiple
remotes.

>From the user's point of view, getting updates to core plugins comes
through Plugin Installer, which keys off of the plugin's version
number. This leads to several circumstances that need addressed.

* Core plugins replicated to plugins.qgis.org need to have a higher
version number than the version that shipped with latest stable QGIS
(obvious), to trigger the update.
* Upon a new stable release, core plugins need their version bumped
again, or the user's latest 'interim' core plugin update will mask the
new stable version, since user-installed plugins of same version take
precedence over core plugins.
* When plugins become accepted to core their version number needs
bumped for the same above masking reasons.

Not sure what type of versioning core plugins should have, but for the
last circumstance (accepted to core) the plugin's version needs to be
higher than that previously used (so using QGIS's version number may
not work for some, initially).

My point here is that users should seamlessly receive update notices,
regardless of how the update occurs. I think that requires standard
plugin versioning, unless I'm missing another method.

Regards,

Larry