[Qgis-developer] GUI roadmap for version 2.0

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Fri Jul 27 01:44:38 PDT 2012

Hi

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created a draft roadmap for the GUI for 2.0. At this time it is
> mostly focused on fixing problems, making components consistent and
> adherence to HIG for the project [0].
>
> http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/GUI_roadmap_for_version_20
>
> If you are interested in helping with this process, or think it should
> be done differently than I have outlined, please comment here or on
> the wiki. I am open to any and all input or help.
>
> [0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Developers_Manual#HIG-Human-Interface-Guidelines

Excellent stuff. I think one area we should really focus in on is the
creation of a library of reusable widgets that address common memes in
QGIS's user interface. There have already been various discssions to
this end but the idea still lacks momentum. There are numerouse
benefits:

- write once use many is efficient use of programmer time
- fixing a bug in one place fixes it in all uses of the widget
- we can write tests against widgets and know that given ui
functionality is working
- we can register them as designer widgets to better enable drag 'n
drop interface design and limit the number of lines of manual UI
construction code we have

Regards

Tim

> Regards,