[Qgis-developer] Cast your vote: Default icon theme for QGIS 2.0

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Sat Jul 28 13:53:43 PDT 2012

Hi Giovanni,

On 28.07.2012 16:07, G. Allegri wrote:
> I've voted for the GIS theme, though I share my opinion on icon size.
> I work with various GIS and CAD software (both OS and commercial) and
> I've always found a bit strange the default 24x24 icon size of QGis.
> Most of the other softwares use 16x16 icons.

24x24 icon size is result of some preliminary discussion and research.

> I know that one can change the icon size, but having just the 24x24
> icons the scaling produces blurs and keeps the icon padding proportions,
> while with 16x16 it could be reduced to provide more room.

Rescaling is not good idea, even from SVG. At this size scalability is
very limited.

> Here are two screenshots of Qgis with 16x16 icons [1] and one from a
> commercial software with the same icon size [2]. Notice the different
> spacing, and the crisp icons.
>
> I suggest to package 16x16 version for the icons, and revise the icon
> padding

You are absolutely right. There should be additional 16x16px version.
With very limited spare time my options are:
1/ Try to keep project's progress (GRASS and QGIS) and design missing icons.
2/ Make them nicer - more colourful, 2.5D, etc.
3/ Prepare icons for 16x16 and 32x32px

And I decided to follow this priority: 1 -> 2 -> 3.
I hope you understand my point of view.

regards,
Robert