[Qgis-developer] Backporting fixes to 1.8

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 14:08:31 PDT 2012

>> Seems safe to me. I guess it'll take a volunteer "1.8 branch maintainer"
>> to go on with this. Are you volunteering Ivan ?
>>

> I think it is not so simple as that - even if he maintains the branch
> with backports, actually putting out the release will side track the
> work of other project members....
>
> Regards
>
> Tim

I agree this is the major point in all this.  Ultimately what we need
is a continuous deployment process where we can say "make 1.8.1 build"
and it grabs the 1.8.1 branch, fires up a bunch of VMs to build on the
different platforms, sticks the packages on the site or server.  I
have no idea how hard something that would be to setup but I think
that is the only way to maintain and deploy "X.X.x" releases.  Without
something like team members, like Tim said, are going to be side
tracked into that release rather then working on master.

- Nathan