[Qgis-developer] Changing the structure of the SEXTANTE repository

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jul 30 14:37:28 PDT 2012

Hi

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most likely we will move the code to the QGIS repo, we are just
> deciding a few things.
>
> However, just a couple of questions:
>
> 1)I do not know if al SEXTANTE commiters are QGIS commiters. As Tim
> said, I might get access to the QGIS repo, but will the others also
> get it. I am particularly thinking about Alexander Bruy, who is
> working on SEXTANTE and has many ideas. I do not know if he has write
> access to the QGIS repo already...

Well I think anybody is eleigble to be a committer if:

- somone will promote them as a 'good person' (i.e. we can be
comfortable that their intentions are not malicious - either
intentionally or accidentally)
- they agree to our guidelines
- they have something to bring to the project

It's nice if the developer can adopt a specific area of the code base.

That said, in the case of SEXTANTE it would probably be IMHO simpler
for you to maintain a fork of QGIS, self organise (in terms of push
access writes to your fork) and then just push the aggregation of
changes over to QGIS when you are ready.

Alex already has commit rights to QGIS master repo so no problem there....

> 2)I like the idea of releasing versions often. Do you think that I can
> keep on doing that even if SEXTANTE becomes a part of QGIS?

Yes sure.

> I do not
> see new version of, for instance, fTools, being released independently
> from the QGIS code, but the time between QGIS version seems too long
> for me, specially considering the hight activity that SEXTANTE has
> (and hopefully will have in the future as well)

Just because the SEXTANTE code is in QGIS does not preclude you from
making independent releases too. A simple script that pulls your
plugin from the rest of the source tree and packages it up should do
it. What we (well speaking for myself at least) are really after is
that:

- SEXTANTE ships by default with each QGIS release (seems a no brainer right?)
- that SEXTANTE goes through similar polish process leading up to the
release so you can put out a 'best possible version' each release
- that SEXTANTE code is highly visible to maximise the number of users
and contributors to it
- that the SEXTANTE team get maximum motivation to do awesome stuff by
knowing their code is going to be a pivotal, embedded part of the
future of QGIS.

In the case of fTools you mention, I know that Carson (the original
author) has gotten busy with 'Real Life' and I do not think the
release rate of fTools is a reflection of the fact that the code lives
in QGIS' repo.

Regards

Tim

> Best regards