[Qgis-developer] SVG-Icons instead of PNGs?

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Mon Jul 30 15:53:40 PDT 2012

Hi Andreas,

On 29.07.2012 12:22, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Regarding the discussion around the icons?
>
> How about using SVG icons instead of fixed size png icons? That way one
> could easily scale the icon sizes on different devices to the preferred
> scale and taste of the user.

 From my test and literature I found that simple vector scaling for
small size icons (16x16 - 24-24) is not recommended. For higher images
blur effect is not so visible and important.

> Are there any technical reasons for using PNGs instead of SVGs? I
> believe the source of the icons is SVG anyway?
>
> For my own in house python plugins I always use the SVG icons.

The main technical reason was image quality. We decided to use already
rendered images in "native resolution". I know it sounds stupid in
Scalable Vector ... context, but that's the reality.
Whole version 0.1 of GIS icons was designed in just one SVG file. In
version 0.2 I save them in separate files. So most of the icons is at
the moment available as one file per icon.

regards,
Robert