[Qgis-developer] plugin developers: PyQwt alternative needed

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Mar 7 10:32:23 EST 2012

I finally had to remove PyQwt from the Mac QGIS distribution because it crashes QGIS when loading plugins that use it.  PyQwt is not compatible with the latest PyQt 4.9.  PyQt 4.9 is needed for Qt 4.8 compatibility, and Qt 4.8 is needed to support OS X 10.7, so there's no going back.

As far as I can tell, PyQwt development is at least stalled, if not dead.  There is a v5.2.1 in SVN that was never packaged for release, and the last code update was almost 2 years ago.  The developer has stated there are no plans to support Qwt 6.

Plugins that use PyQwt need to find an alternative to provide the functionality they need.  I don't know much about what's out there, but Matplotlib is an option.  Though maybe some integration with Qt is needed.

Note: the Qwt library works fine with the latest Qt, for use by compiled parts of QGIS.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin