[Qgis-developer] QGIS + Inkscape

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Mar 19 06:06:33 EDT 2012

 Hi,

 The first question that I had to ask myself in this thread: what is the
 reason why one wants to move from QGIS to Inkscape? Are there ways to
 improve QGIS so this extra step in a separate software isn't necessary
 any more? Would it be more useful to implement missing features in QGIS
 rather than spending a lot of time trying to let two separate software
 packages talk to each other?

 If you really want to work on improving the situation between QGIS and
 Inkscape I think it would be best to either:

 * work on SVG read/write support in GDAL (something along the lines of
 http://www.carto.net/svg/utils/shp2svg/ - which is a bit outdated by now
 -> the idea was to improve GDAL SVG support
 * improve the qtSVG libraries so QGIS can output more semantically rich
 SVG output (e.g. with layer names, text stays as text, include attribute
 data in a foreign namespace so that it can be displayed in Inkscape,
 improve the styling situation, etc.)

 I would be interested/available to discuss options and support your
 work in some ways if I can.

 Let us know what you decide!

 Andreas

 On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:20:01 +0100, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi Brylie
>
> A very good thing would be to improve the SVG export from the print
> composer. In fact, this would mean to improve the SVG export in the
> Qt
> libraries. And from this work, other Qt applications would
> automatically benefit as well (a large number of applications).
>
> Regards,
> Marco
>

> On 19.03.2012 02:40, Brylie Oxley wrote:
>> Hello,
>> My name is Brylie Oxley. I am a student at Sierra College in Nevada
>> City, CA. I would like to apply for the GSoC program.
>>
>> I have been studying GIS at Sierra College, where the courses focus
>> on proprietary tools. For libre GIS tools to be viable options, we
>> need high quality cartographic tools. This is where I see Inkscape as
>> an EXCELLENT candidate.
>>
>> I would like to make an extension for QGIS and/or Inkscape that
>> would enable us to send data from QGIS directly to Inkscape. It would
>> also be nice to be able to have Inkscape leverage the QGIS API to
>> import data/layers into a cartographic project.
>>
>> I am glad to get any feedback regarding users' experiences sharing
>> data between these two programs. I would also like to know what some
>> of the components are that I can leverage to create a bridging
>> extension/improved cartographic interface for QGIS.
>>
>> Thank you for your time and consideration,
>> Brylie Oxley

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)