[Qgis-developer] gsoc 2012

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Mar 22 09:32:56 EDT 2012

Hi

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at keybit.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 07:03:25PM +0200, Alexander Bruy wrote:
>> Hmm... so if I understand correctly now we have two frameworks:
>> ProcessingFramework (developed last year by Camilo Polymeris)
>> and SEXTANTE framework.
>>
>> I didn't tested SEXTANTE framework yet, but seems we should
>> decide and leave only one framework to avoid confusing and
>> duplication of work
>
> +1
>
> It feels like driving drunk whenever starting qgis: every functionality
> is duplicated :D

Oddly enough, in the server world they praise duplication, redundancy
etc. :-) I think development duplication is not always bad - it lets
us evaluate different designs and approaches and pick the best of
breed. We just need to by choosy and only add one candidate for each
functional area into QGIS as it ships. Especially leading up to 2.0 we
need to declutter and unit test what we have rather than duplicate
stuff.

Regards

Tim

> --strk;

>  |   __/  |    Delivering high quality PostGIS 2.0 !
>  |  / 2.0 |    http://strk.keybit.net - http://vizzuality.com

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux