[Qgis-developer] Re: import proprietary code inside a python plugin

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Mon Mar 26 20:06:05 EDT 2012

> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:33:54 +0200
> From: Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>
>
> > I personnaly consider that libraries should not be under a GPL licence
> but a
> > LGPL one, which keeps the opensource aspect while facilitating mixing
> with
> > other softwares. GPL is fine with end user software built on top of LGPL
> libs.
> > That said, it would require to relicence all qgis source code as LGPL
> with all
> > contributors agreeing to the change.
>
> I don't think this will happen soon both for logistical reasons and
> philosophical - many of us who have contributed code to the project
> would object to the license switch.

Since QGIS includes a server application now, perhaps you should consider relicensing under the *more* restrictive AGPL ;)

Does anyone know about distributing *only source code* as *public domain* for a plugin which links with proprietary software?
I think it would not be allowed, but I'm not sure.

Alister