[Qgis-developer] Re: import proprietary code inside a python plugin

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 03:59:57 EDT 2012

2012/3/27 Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>

> On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 09:51 +0200, G. Allegri wrote:
> > Ops. How QGis can use GDAL which uses ECW?!
>
> > 3 - osgeo4w bundles gdal-ecw DLL
>
> I think there are no erdas libraries in the gdal-ecw package, it is just
> a "bridge" (sorry if it is not the right term) between gdal and the
> erdas libraries that the user must get and copy manually in his system.
>
> cheers

Exactly, the same would happen with an LGPL bridge to ArcPy ;)

*Forget Qgis for a moment*
I create an LGPL library on top of arcpy. Stop

Then, I release a GPL plugin for QGis that can import and use the above
LGPL library.
QGis + GPL imports an LGPL library and ONLY USE ITS CODE. The GPL doesn't
import arcpy, nor use any proprietary code.

giovanni