[Qgis-developer] Re: import proprietary code inside a python plugin

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Mar 27 05:06:19 EDT 2012

Hi,

> In osgeo4w the gdal-ecw DLLs are released binary compiled. I never needed
> to compile them by myself. Are you saying that osgeo4w is doing something
> incorrect?

The gdal/ecw case is particularly complex, as the ECW licence changes
regularly and is some kind of opensource but not really.

As for YOUR specific case, I think you should have understood by now that it's
not possible to use Arcgis inside a python plugin, whatever the energy you
deploy to try to convince the world to the opposite.
The only exception to that would be to have a python plugin which is _not
dependant_ on arcgis (which means arcgis is completely optional), and which
communicate with another process. The latter can use arcgis, can be free or
non-free, but must _not_ import any GPL code and _must_ do data exchange
through a non contaminating method : file, database, webservice_

Vincent