[Qgis-developer] Proposal: QGIS Processing Framework improvements

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:03:34 EDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM, Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yes, I wonder about that too. I don't haven't really figured out how
>> sextante works, but it seems a very different approach: calls backends
>> through the commandline, which makes it much simpler to implement, of
>> course, but also limited in some aspects: no interaction, only batch
>> based jobs. I might be wrong, though.
>
> Calling algorithms from SEXTANTE doesn't have to be done through the
> command line. In fact, the idea behind SEXTANTE is to make it as easy
> as possible to create your own algorithms, and that might be writing
> it directly in Python, calling a 3rd party app on the console, or
> doing it through a Python binding
>
>> I guess "friendly competition" has its advantages, too.
>
> Of course, but it would also be great to join platforms or at least
> improve one based on the other. I will be at Lyon for the developers
> meeting (looking forward to it!!): Any chance that you might attend
> the meeting as well??

Unlikely... am too far away. :(
What I can gather from this discussion is that the framework is
redundant, sextante seems the way to go, more mature and more
straightforward design (from what I can tell). If you agree, I'll
withdraw my proposal and see if there is anything I can do to improve
on sextante. (Through GSoC or otherwise)
Pehaps some of the things (code or ideas) developed for the framework
can be reused, and if not... at least it was a learning experience.

Regards,
Camilo