[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] SEXTANTE for QGIS has been released

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 06:36:16 EDT 2012

I've just tested a dozen of SAGA algorithms, and they worked smooth! ;)
(ok, I admit, I'm on Windows :D)

@Gerhardus, Victor will be able to give you much more informations in the
near future. Sextante is like a toolbox, where pieces of functionalities
are kept together. It can leavarage external softwares (like SAG, R,
Grass), it can incorporate python scripts, etc., and it expose them to the
user in a uniform manner. The user will be able to chain these pieces
together, even through a graphical tool (the modeler), and he doesn't have
to worry much about where they come from, and how they are being called.
So, what is SEXTANTE good for?
 - users: for the reasons I've just said. A lot of different code are
exposed in a coherent manner
 - developers: incorporate their algorithms inside the toolbox, and don't
have to worry to manage user inputs, outpus, the GUI, etc. and they can
also use the other tools available from the toolbox...

This is just a synthetic flight on SEXTANTE ;)

giovanni