[Qgis-developer] Feature freeze for 1.8 - 31 March 23h59 GMT 2012

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 06:19:25 EDT 2012

My major concern with the 1.8 release is getting all the non api breaking
features from master into the 1.8 branch and keeping track of which ones
are in there.  master is so fast moving that it's hard to keep
track, especially when the order of commits (and some of the ids) are
different to the master line.

I tried to do a: git log master..release-1_8 which tells you which commits
are differing between the two branches.  I counted 589 commits using wc -l

IMHO what would be better would be to branch 1.8 from master now and revert
the commits that we know break API using: git revert {commit id}.  Dealing
with conflicts as we go.  I think the number of reverts would be less then
the number of commits that need to be cherry-picked and conflicts resolved.
 I'm not sure how many parts of QGIS are relying on the the breaking API
parts but I suspect it wouldn't be many.

Unless someone knows a better way to handle this.

- Nathan