[Qgis-developer] Re: Working on Symbology Improvement for the GSOC

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Sat Mar 31 16:41:50 EDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM, aruntheguy at gmail.com <aruntheguy at gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> + Create a new symbol designer, that can be summoned up from Menu rather
> than from the properties

I don't know how other people approach this but I experiment a lot with
different renderers and symbols, tiny changes and how the affect. If I have
to change between layer properties and a separate symbol designer all the
time, I think I'd go crazy. It's already annoying me that I cannot interact
with the map while the properties dialog is open.

> + The designer to perform following functions
>     - Create new symbols/styles
>     - Grouping and management of styles through a tree structure

+1 for a tree structure.

>     - Create and manage virtual groups (or themes) that would pull symbols
> from various groups and a combination of renders to create a overall
> cartographic stylesheet (almost same as present save/load style).

Like the idea of symbol groups (aka themes). Not sure if it should be
symbol groups or style groups though. Style groups could prove too
inflexible.

Regards,
Anita