[Qgis-developer] Approving plugins

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Thu May 10 09:47:28 PDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 8:37 AM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:

> 2012/5/10 Gary Sherman <gsherman at geoapt.com>:

>>> maybe this could be useful for plugin writers too?
>>> all the best.
>>
>> By questionable practices I mean system calls that may do things that should not be done...
>>

> why don't we add it to the validator so that it's automatically
> executed for all uploaded plugins?

We could, but in some cases making these system calls is a valid thing to do. The only way to tell is to manually review the code. Automatically rejecting a plugin because of one of these calls is not desirable. It could be used to add a flag for the approving person to indicate it needs a closer look. Here is an example output from checking SEXTANTE:

ophir:Downloads gsherman$ plugin_checker.py sextante
Analyzing sextante
import found for module subprocess, line 3, sextante/grass/GrassUtils.py
   3: import subprocess
import found for module subprocess, line 4, sextante/r/RUtils.py
   4: import subprocess
import found for module subprocess, line 1, sextante/saga/SagaDescriptionCreator.py
   1: import subprocess
import found for module subprocess, line 3, sextante/saga/SagaUtils.py
   3: import subprocess
import found for module subprocess, line 15, sextante/SextantePlugin.py
   15: import subprocess
Checked 856 files in sextante

-Gary

Gary Sherman