[Qgis-developer] Discussion on browser and file extensions

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:07:41 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Giuseppe Sucameli
<brush.tyler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - extensions in legend widget are useless
>> - new column for layer type in legend widget is are also useless
>> (there is tooltip with data source / full path)
>
> I agree.
> I guess a layer is just a layer. Distinguishing them by extensions just
> means the base name is not complete.
> If you have 2 layers with the same name probably they are different
> and then you should consider to assign them different names.
>
>> - extensions in file browser are not necessary (there is tooltip with
>> full path, so it's possible to distinguish them even when the base
>> name is the same)
>
> IMHO they are necessary for files, otherwise I (but I think users in
> general) may become crazy to find the right file to load.

I agree.

> So I would just keep everything unchanged except trimming the
> suffix from the layer name.

Giuseppe - where would you remove the suffix?

Obviously the db manager and other drop targets in the browser.

How about in the legend? I am 50/50 on that as there is always the
option to change the layer names manually, and the tooltip does give a
clue on the filetype.