[Qgis-developer] Changes to python/utils.py

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu May 31 12:48:20 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 29/05/2012 21:01, Martin Dobias ha scritto:
>
>> Also, it would be good to have a
>> button to easily save the error report to allow users easily attach
>> error details to bug reports.
>
> Even further, we could have a button to send a full error report automatically;
> obviously we have to be careful not being flooded by it. We have been discussing
> about this with elpaso, it seems feasible and easy to integrate in the current web app.
> All the best.

Paolo, could you explain this a bit more. How would it integrate with
the web app?

If a plugin's error report is to be sent, additional info beyond the
traceback and frame locals should probably be included, to help the
developer:

* Plugin's name and version
* QGIS runtime info (like versions info from the About QGIS dialog)
* User's platform

I suggest a 'Send Report...' button in the Python error dialog that
opens a new reporting window with the following components:

* QTextEdit area for the user to write a comment on what they were
doing when the error occurred
* QTextEdit area with the generated report (additional info,
traceback, and frame locals), where the user can have the opportunity
review it and 'clean' any sensitive info
* Button to save report to disk
* Button options and some text on how to submit the report

Before the buttons for sending the report become active, the user is
required to save the report to disk. The options on how the report is
submitted would be dependent upon the plugin's 'metadata.txt' values,
with a fallback default solution.

If the plugin has an issue tracker or a homepage, there's a button for
each that would launch the user's desktop browser to go there. There
should be a default button of maybe 'Send to QGIS.org'. This might go
to a landing page at hub.qgis.org where a user would be able to submit
a report for orphaned or older plugins that don't have trackers or any
other destination info. (I think having a catch-all issue tracker like
this was discussed before.)

This new reporting dialog could be in C++ gui library, for general
reporting on QGIS issues ('Send Issue Report...' in the Help menu?),
then subclassed and extended with the custom buttons and destinations
for Python errors.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography