[Qgis-developer] Server features

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Nov 14 23:57:04 PST 2012

Hi,

For 90% of my projects performance is really good. For the remaining
10%, rather complext projects, I would say it is good enough, but it
could be "snappier".

I am specifically talking about the "Leitungskataster" project, the
project displaying all supply lines and waste-water lines, containing
cadastral data, electricity, gaz, water, communication, waste-water and
heating.

These complex projects typically have:

* a lot of layers (around 70 layers)
* a lot of rules in the layer symbology
* automatically placed labels along lines
* dash patterns - almost all the lines are dashed
* SVG symbols

I will have to do my own homework. I will probably have to reduce the
number of layers by using views.

And to be honest, I haven't set up the same project on UMN mapserver to
compare whether it is really faster.

I don't know yet where the bottlenecks are (too many layers, too many
rules, too many rules, too many labels?).

Thanks,
Andreas