[Qgis-developer] 64bit Windows version

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Nov 15 23:39:26 PST 2012

 Hi all,

 Wouldn't it be good to offer 64bit Windows versions from QGIS version
 2.0 on? Most new and many existing Windows PCs are 64bit Windows these
 days.

 I don't expect someone to work for free on it, but if an estimate could
 be done how many hours of work it would mean to put together a 64bit
 OSGeo4W and standalone viewer, we could start collecting money to make
 it happen. There should be enough Windows users out there with a strong
 interest in the 64bit version.

 Question: is this more a one-time investment or would it mean a lot of
 work further on, maintaining the two versions, 32bit and 64bit?

 Other opinions?

 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A