[Qgis-developer] Main website design

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Nov 17 12:17:28 PST 2012

Hi

My opinion is that if we start using any project cash it should be to pay
e.g. young graduate or similar to do stuff like write tests, cleanup api
docs, beef up python cookbook. As far as the web site is concerned, I think
the greater need is for information management / organisation than for
design, and that is something that can come from within the project. We
just need someone to come up with a great bootstrap theme for us and it
seems like boottheme.com provides a simple avenue for this if we can get
e.g. Anita or someone with a good eye for visuals to spend a little time
coming up with good theme that is distinctive.

Regards

Tim

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde
<rdmailings at duif.net>wrote:

> On 11/17/2012 12:14 PM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to propose that maybe now that we have some extra cash
>> thanks to our gold sponsor that it might be good to spend at little bit
>> on a main website design.  I think $1000 would get a pretty nice home
>> page and IMO it is well worth the money.  Most designs on 99designes[0]
>> are around $700 and look quite good.
>>
>> The main page page of a project makes all the difference when it comes
>> to the impression it leaves on users and this is one thing I think it is
>> worth spending a little money on to get a professional job done.
>>
>> Thoughts.
>>

> Hi Nathan,
>
> I agree that as a project it is great to have a nice website layout.
>
> But my experience with a lot of designers like the ones from 99designes is
> that they can create a really nice looking frontpage, but often only from
> scratch, and only with their own tools and scripts.
>
> While in my opinion we should have a relatively simple website design
> (looking at Google stuff) which we can reuse in all our web/html/html stuff.
>
> So not only a nice looking frontpage, But also:
> - created using the templating system of Sphinx (because we want to have
> this as a localisation framework)
> - created with OR behaving like the bootstrap framework: responsive design
> (both on desktop and phone looking nice) (and we can use the relatively
> simple generated html also into QGIS itself (clicking help in a certain
> dialog just shows a part of the docs into a popup).
> - simple simple simple flat structure, so you always now where you are in
> the simple simple hierarchy
> - having a good index OR good search engine OR google searchable is in my
> opnion more important than a frontpage overloaded with links to all
> functional corners of website and docs
>
> Concluding: it is fine to spent some money on someone who has clear ideas
> on usability and webdesign, but please let it be one who at least is able
> to use our framework and preferably can implement his/her ideas him/herself
> in our framework (because it think that is our main problem...)
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services