[Qgis-developer] Remaining work to get rid of old labeling?

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sat Nov 17 14:09:58 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:13:18PM -0700, Larry Shaffer wrote:

> The new engine offers complex collision
> management, while the old one does not, which will always take up more
> cpu cycles. While I don't think the new engine will ever be as fast as
> a simpler one, a reasonable effort should be made to optimize it as
> much as possible before adding cool new features, like leader-line
> labels, that will again up the computational cost.
>
> Obviously the new engine could be faster, but is its current
> performance really a blocking issue for removing the old one?

The new engine can work with collision detection removed, right ?
Would it be as fast as the old one in that case ?
Could that behavior be made the default, so that old users won't
notice any difference and new users won't be hit by performance
issues until opting for a better placement ?

Of course it's still useful to improve the performance of collision
detection code but could be done with less pressure...

--strk;