[Qgis-developer] QGIS Engine development

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Nov 20 14:24:33 PST 2012

>Are there any plans for development of Qt-independent GIS core (with AGG
>rendering engine, maybe)?

I don't know if AGG would be faster than the Qt raster paint engine and
how much. It would be very interesting to have the comparison AGG <-> Qt
raster engine (and maybe libcairo as well).

With AGG / cairo, the approach would be to create a new Qt paint engine
based on these libs (rather than changing the code in qgis core to be Qt
free). If someone knows of an AGG paint engine implementation or likes
to create one, that would be very interesting.

Regards,
Marco