[Qgis-developer] Budget allocation

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Nov 22 02:10:20 PST 2012

Hi Paolo,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 18/11/2012 07:22, Paolo Cavallini ha scritto:
>
>> - list in detail our needs for a prompt and smooth release of 2.0; my blockers are:
>>
>>   * SIP Bindings revision
>>   * Symbology overhaul
>>   * Labelling overhaul

I can help with labeling, since I am already working on it. An
'overhaul' is a bit vague, but I assume you mean (at least) better
performance from the new engine. I can put together a concise listing
of what's needed to get current labeling changes/performance to a good
release-ready stage.

>>   * New web site and docs
>>   * SEXTANTE integration
>>   * Interface cleanup and consistency

I can help with the initial assessment and organization of what needs
cleaned up and made consistent (as I started here [0]). However, not
sure how much coding I can do, as I would prefer to focus on labeling
for this release.

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/GUI_roadmap_for_version_20

>>   * Plugins migration
>>
>> Missing anything?

There was talk a while ago about funds for crowd-sourcing the design
of a new QGIS logo. While not a fix per se, maybe the process should
be started ASAP? Would be good to have a new logo for 2.0 release.

Similarly, it would be good to have only one icon set (Robert's GIS
theme?). If so, there will need to be some work done on achieving
that. A more complete/consistent icon look across the entire app would
be a nice addition to a major release like 2.0.

Regards,

Larry