[Qgis-developer] Get rid of Shapefiles ! Go GeoJSON !

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Nov 26 07:35:24 PST 2012

[apologies for empty previous message, I blame google for putting
[...] next to 'Send'. This message has real content:

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM, kimaidou <kimaidou at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> The subject is a bit polemical, on purpose. I am used to playing with
> Postgis, spatialite and GeoJson, which are all open-source ways to store
> spatial data.
>
> I am very frustrated by the limitations of the Shapefile format, and much
> more by the quasi obligation to use it as the default vector format in QGIS.
> I mean for non power users who do not use PostGIS or spatialite.

 Why is spatialite seen as a "power user" option when ESRI users have
been using something similar for years? Its just a file, you connect
to it, you add spatial data to it.

 GeoJSON is always going to be pretty verbose unless you gzip it - I
wouldn't want to use it for anything too big.

Barry