[Qgis-developer] Get rid of Shapefiles ! Go GeoJSON !

Tyler Mitchell info at locatepress.com
Mon Nov 26 08:01:55 PST 2012

> I agreed with all you said, I am sure Spatialite format is the future of
> Geo"file" format:

I agree too, and it's being more and more used behind other software.

However, with all the formats that GDAL/OGR provides to QGIS, behind the scenes, wouldn't it make more sense to abstract editable data types and allow the user to set their default preferred format in QGIS?  OGR, for example, already provides this kind of abstraction for the QGIS db providers and elsewhere.  If other tools and plugins could build toward a similar approach, that would be useful, plus it would alleviate the "best format" argument ;)

Tyler