[Qgis-developer] License Summary

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 03:38:51 PDT 2012

Hi!

I took the freedom to dig a bit deeper into what is in our sourcecode..
Licenses we have so far:

1475 Files: GPL (v2 or later)

508 Files: (*No copyright* ) UNKNOW -> We should definitely fix this!!

41 Files: GPL (v3 or later) (sqlanywhere and pal) -> Issues? Do we have
to switch do v3?
21 Files: zlib/libpng
18 Files: LGPL
6 Files: MPL (v1.1) GPL (unversioned/unknown version)
6 Files: MIT/X11 (BSD like)
4 Files: (*No copyright*) GENERATED FILE
2 Files: BSD (3 clause)
1 File: *No copyright* Public domain

So once we have cleaned those 508 Files with UNKNOWN we can decide under
which license the "QGIS" has to be (GPL v2+? GPL v3+)
There is also the possibility that some of the UNKNOWN do have a
copyright and these things do have a "wrong" header which is not caught
by the licensechecker ..
I try to stick to this and clean those headers or make them at least
readable by licencechecker to automate this thing in the future.
If anyone with more knowledge about influence of licenses to each other
could jump in and have a look what license would be the correct one for
us if we include all those licenses you see above ..

thanks a lot
and Victor I already look for a nice way to integrate a header into your
sextante files .. should be scriptable somehow .. stay tuned ;) (and
tell me which license you would like to have so that i can probably add
the header to all files at once)

kind regards
Werner